Global military unmanned aerial systems generate $7.3 billion in revenue in 2020.*
In 2020, the worldwide UAV market is an $11.3 billion industry.**
The small UAV market grows at a CAGR of 21.7 percent between 2013 and 2019.***
Remote controlled or autonomously flying aircraft inhabit the skies in 2020. These unmanned aerial vehicles or drones contribute to domestic policing, geographical surveys, maritime patrol and delivery of goods, among multiple other commercial and military applications.
Unmanned Aerial Vehicles in 2020:
- Multifunctional UAVs allow multiple features to be assembled on a single UAV; for instance a single UAV can be used in monitoring local traffic, local law and order and the environment.
- Self-learning UAVs equipped with artificial intelligence, make autonomous navigation decisions allowing them to fly with minimal human intervention.
- Micro UAVs shrink drone sizes and work in swarms to provide surveillance in the battle field; the Air Force has experimented with ‘flybots’ that can hover, stalk, and kill targets.
- Solar-powered UAVs mitigate range issues and allow recharging of batteries from a network of solar-powered charging stations.
- 3D printed UAVs help develop lightweight, rigid UAV structures that improve performance and cut costs.
*”Frost & Sullivan: Europe and Asia to Drive Market Growth in Unmanned Aerial Systems Market in the Next Ten Years,” Frost and Sullivan, http://www.frost.com/prod/servlet/press-release.pag?docid=259089240.
**”Worldwide UAV market to reach more than $94 billion in ten years,” Homeland Security News Wire, http://www.homelandsecuritynewswire.com/dr20120412-worldwide-uav-market-to-reach-more-than-94-billion-in-ten-years.
***”SDR Market (Software Defined Radios Industry) 2014 Analysis & 2020 Forecasts in a New Research,” Wn.com, http://article.wn.com/view/2014/02/28/SDR_Market_Software_Defined_Radios_Industry_2014_Analysis_20_8/.