In 2020, 300 billion sensors are making lifestyle enhancements in our daily lives.*
The intelligent sensor market is a $10.5 billion industry in 2020.**
The market for printed and flexible sensors reaches $7.3 billion in 2020.***
Networks of sensors measure and record everything from temperature, light and motion to biohazards and physical indicators from the body. Sensor-enabled devices communicate with each other through the “internet of things,” ingestible sensors monitor the body from the inside, and intelligent swarms of sensors co-ordinate with each other to collect data. Declining costs and advancements in sensor technology make it accessible, widely used and an integral part of the 2020’s digital ecosystem.
Sensor technology in 2020:
- The ‘unobservable’ sensing breaks new ground in sensing biohazards, smells, material stresses, pathogens, level of corrosion and chemicals in material.
- Micro-sensor implants in patients track the healing process for internal injuries, enable health care professionals to take remedial action based on continual data from the system.
- Biodegradable sensors monitor soil moisture and nutrient content for optimum crop production.
- Self-powered sensors that are powered using the heat difference between the patient’s body and surrounding air find applications in medical care.
- Self-healing sensors repair themselves in the event of disaster or other structural disruptions.
- Live cell-based sensing, an amalgamation of sensor technology and living cells, allow scientist to understand the biological effect of medicines, environment and biohazards.
- Sensor swarms coordinate their activities, deciding what to measure and where through a self-learning system directing their movements and data collection.
- Smart dust, microscopic sensors powered by vibrations, monitor situations ranging from battlefield activities, structural strength of buildings and clogged arteries.
*”Emergence of Trillion Sensor Opportunity,” SemiconWest, http://www.semiconwest.org/sites/semiconwest.org/files/docs/SW2013_Janusz Bryzek_Fairchild Semiconductor.pdf.
**”Smart/Intelligent Sensor Market worth $10.46 Billion by 2020,” Military and Aerospace Electronics, http://www.militaryaerospace.com/news/2014/03/12/smart-intelligent-sensor-market-worth-10-46-billion-by-2020.html.
***”IDTechEx: Printed sensors market will increase by more than $1 billion by 2020,” Drupa, http://www.drupa.com/cipp/md_drupa/custom/pub/content,oid,30443/lang,2/ticket,g_u_e_s_t/local_lang,2.