AR reaches 1 billion users worldwide by 2020.*
More than 2.5 billion mobile AR apps are downloaded each year in 2017.**
In 2018, enterprise and general entertainment application sectors generate annual mobile AR revenues in excess of $1 billion each.***
Augmented reality (AR) allows users to experience their physical, real-world environment so that its elements are augmented by computer-generated sensory inputs such as sound, video, graphics, or GPS data. As information becomes more and more pervasive, overlaying information on reality becomes the norm for enhanced decision making. The future promises radical improvements in AR technology with the introduction of gestural interfaces and sensory feedback that fuses the physical world with digital information.
Augmented reality in 2020:
- Screen-less future becomes a reality as wearables become ubiquitous; any flat surface doubles up as a screen.
- 3-D visualization and mapping capabilities in conjunction with AR technology help navigate places with updated situational awareness.
- Visualization of data becomes seamless as users can access centralized data on the go through wearable technologies; it finds application in law enforcement, emergency response and human services.
- Gestural interfaces—ways for humans to use body language and actions to control technology—begin to redefine the human-technology relationship, ushering in a sort of omnipresent “sixth sense.”
- Haptic (tactile) technologies redefine training in key government mission areas including defense, law enforcement and health care.
*”Augmented reality will reach 1 billion people by 2020,” Impactlab, http://www.impactlab.net/2013/06/11/augmented-reality-will-reach-1-billion-people-by-2020/.
**”Augmented Reality: How has it Changed in 2013?,” Augmented Reality Trends, http://www.augmentedrealitytrends.com/augmented-reality/augmented-reality-how-has-it-changed-in-2013.html.
***”Mobile Augmented Reality Revenues to Exceed $1bn Annually by 2015,” Juniper Research, http://www.juniperresearch.com/viewpressrelease.php?pr=427.